Having a plan before you do most things is a good move (traveling, cooking, starting a family), and the same holds true for content marketing. Creating and using a content plan will create cohesion and consistency across all content channels, deliver your brand message more effectively, and stay relevant to your readers.
Most content marketing experts have a list of questions to ask before you launch a content marketing plan, and the lists are pretty much all the same:
- What is our brand message?
- Will that message deliver sales?
- Who is our audience? (Most brands have more than one.)
- What is our audience like? What do they like?
- Where can we reach them best?
- What kind of content do we need?
- How can we keep them engaged?
- Who is going to create the content and update it?
- How can we measure success?
I like the succinct summary on Grammar Chic’s blog, The Red Ink.